Sunny wrote:
i build web sites. i'm over 40. i have 20/20 vision. i work (and play)
at 800x600. i LIKE it.

I build websites. I'm under 40. I have 20/20 vision. My monitor is 1440 x 900 pixels but I too like to surf at 800 pixels wide (although usually taller than 600 pixels: just personal preference). When I come across a site that displays horizontal scrollbars, I *could* expand my browser window... but I could just as is easily hit the back button (which is what I'll probably what I'll do).

My computer. My browser. My choice. It's all about choice.

Normally choices are made by the designer with the user in mind: readable fonts, good colour schemes, etc. But when it comes to nailing an entire design onto a fixed layout, this is one of those areas where the choice of the designer conflicts directly with the choice of the user.

so, seriously folks, am i wrong to hope that a site will look "right"
in my browsing environment?

Nope, you are not wrong at all. Sites that only work for a specific resolution are like sites that only work for a specific browser. Whether it's 800 pixels wide, 1024 pixels wide or whatever the latest trend might be, hardcoding widths is a shortsighted strategy.

Clive Walker wrote:
We use the stats here to guide our general design choices.

I think that's missing the point. The goal is not to design for the majority but to design for everybody.

As Anthony Cartmell said:
HTML was designed to work as a flexible presentation medium. I hate the rigidity of making it work like paper

In my opinion, John Allsopp's "A Dao of Web Design", though five years old, remains the best and most relevant article ever published on A List Apart:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dao/

BTW, technically this isn't really a standards question as the subject of user-centric, fluid layouts is something that's been around since before CSS/XHTML/etc. but, as a question of best practices, I think most people would agree that it's relevant.

--
Jeremy Keith

a d a c t i o

http://adactio.com/