Browser sniffing, resolution sniffing - same difference to me.

It leads to fractured site design and multiple pages / scripts doing one thing.
I'm on 1280 x 1024 and so wondered whay I got the 800 x 600 page. Turns out my
browser fired up at just under 1024 x 768 and I was lumped into the "less than
1024 x 768" bracket.

I can understand this as it would be a challenge to fit 4 columns across an 800
x 600 screen and still have things readable. What would be a little nicer is if
the browser was served a slightly amended stylesheet rather than needing a
redirect to a 'special' page (thus giving developers another home page version
to maintain.)

Ironically, with JavaScript disabled an 800x600 viewport is served the 1024x768
homepage, thus destroying the whole 'lowest common denominator' thing.

Terrence, I would reconcile it with a PDA (mobile browser) by understanding
that that browser will either strip out all semblance of style and layout from
my page (as in the majority of version 1 mobile browsers), or that I MAY be
able to serve it a mobile stylesheet (support is not great). What I WOULD NOT
do is sniff for mobile devices and create YET ANOTHER home page for them.

Standards people, standards - leave the rendering to the device, PLEASE don't
resolution, this device, that device.

 This site has done a good job of that by using standards compliant code, and
the seperate homepage is simply a nod to the fact that some users are still
using that resolution. Yes, it could have been done better but so could a lot
of things I do every day....