Hi

Currently the W3C WCAG Working Group have been working on mapping the WCAG 1.0 to WCAG 2.0.  I have been assigned an action item to investigate the mapping of the WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 7.5: Until user agents provide the ability to stop auto-redirect, do not use markup to redirect pages automatically. Instead, configure the server to perform redirects.

At the moment it is being mapped to a WCAG 2.0 Level 1 (equivalent of A) Success Criteria:

Content is designed so that time-outs are not an essential part of interaction, or at least one of the following is true for each time-out that is a function of content:

  • The user is allowed to deactivate the timeout, or;
  • The user is allowed to adjust the time-out over a wide range which is at least ten times the length of the default setting or;
  • The user is warned before time expires, allowed the extend the time-out with a simple action (for example, “hit any key”) and given at least 20 seconds to respond or;
  • The time-out is an important part of a real-time event (for example, an auction) and no alternative to the time-out is possible;
  • The time-out is part of an activity where timing is essential (for example, competitive gaming or time-based testing) and time limits can not be extended further without invalidating the activity

Does this mapping appear to allow immediate (ie. 0 second) client-side automatic redirects?

An example of an auto-redirect after 2 seconds is: www.pa.msu.edu/services/computing/faq/auto-redirect-example.html

How do people feel about an auto-redirect on 0 seconds?  This effectively breaks the Back button but does not seem to cause any other problems.  As the Back button is browser functionality it becomes a user agent issue and therefore falls under the User Agent Accessibility Guidelines.  This means that an auto-redirect on 0 seconds may either fall under the above Success Criteria or it is left out of WCAG 2.0 entirely.

I welcome any comments.  I need to report back to the Working Group next Thursday.

Cheers,

Gian

PurpleTop has been acquired by iFocus: www.ifocus.com.au

Gian Sampson-Wild

iFocus Pty Limited
Level 1,
450 St Kilda Road
Melbourne Vic 3004
ph: + 61 3 8807 0100  |  fx: +61 3 8807 0101
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.ifocus.com.au

:: Australian Federal Government Endorsed Supplier
:: Queensland Government Information Technology Contract (GITC) Endorsed Supplier
:: Member of the Victorian Government eServices Panel
:: Member of the Australian Government Information Management Office Web Management Panel (AGIMO)

The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. iFocus maintains up-to-date virus checking software and we recommend that you also employ resident virus protection. Our liability with respect to the transference of computer viruses is limited to resupplying the infected email or document again.
Thank-you, iFocus Pty Limited. ABN 23 090 593 525