Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Sliced Image Dilema

I think your question should be rephrazed a little

table based sliced image html (as seen in david seaguls book Killer Websites)

Vs

Webstandard 'Tableless' CSS design

table based sliced image layout

pros
    easy to produce consistant layout
    may even use images instead of text (at the expense of accessibilty)

cons (too many to list)
    inaccessiable
    large file sizes (hence longer to download, greater cost of ownership etc)

Webstandard 'Tableless' CSS design

pros (too many to list)
    seach engines crawl the site and index information more appropriately
    greater file economy (elements can be reused, many elements can be removed)
    seperation of style and content (makes managing the site really simple.  Really, really simple)
    present the same page of mark up to various devices (eg Desktops, handhelds, phones, PDA)

cons
    older defunked browsers on anceint machines display unformatted information (even this has its advantages)
    requires a little more attension in production stages (this depend on who elaborate the design is)

atb > Sam

Jeff D. Reid wrote:
Can anyone here please post urls to some reading regarding the use of sliced
images in building a website vs using CSS instead.  Kind of a "pros and cons"
type of paper.

Thanks

Jeff D. Reid

MIS Department
Davitt-Hanser Music Company
Cincinnati, OH

http://www.bcrich.com
http://www.kustom.com
http://www.olpguitars.com

Owner
ROMDev
Cincinnati, OH

http://www.romdev.com
http://www.patandjeff.com

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." -Mitch Ratliffe-