On 16/08/05, Thierry Koblentz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm talking about a simple:
> onclick="window.open(this.href,'myPopup'); return false;"
> In this particular case, if you consider normal to arbitrary ignore the
> "window.open" statement, then why do you consider "outrageous" to ignore
> "return false". IMO, that's a smart way for a blocker to give control to the
> user over the popups without killing the links.
> I know Opera's blocker behaves this way, so if it violates ECMA-262 I
> believe it's for a good cause ;).

In this example, Thierry, there are two completely separate
statements. Programmatically, they're not dependent on each other, and
should be executed sequentially. Any structured scripting/programming
language that breaks the sequence construct is broken. It's a
fundamental structured programming concept; statements are executed
sequentially. If logic is required, then it should be added by the
programmer using selection or iteration constructs, which may then
cause the execution to take different paths. I would sooner
programmers coded responsibly than have a browser that started to
second guess what I was trying to achieve. The example I provided
earlier is a good example of where the behaviour you're describing for
Opera would be incorrect.

Best regards,

Gez

--