G'day

I have a web site with a left navigation system consisting of images and text in 2 columns. The image is displayed on the left, with the text link to the right of it.
The width of the container is fixed (at 220px), and the size of the left images is 100px.

Why not use a simple (unordered) list? Since (as I read it) all the images are the same size (width AND height?) you can float the image left. Something like:

ul#nav li { height: 100px; } /* add whatever else you need */
ul#nav img { float:left; width:100px; height:100px; }

Regards --
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/
Fast-loading, user-friendly websites