----- Original Message ----- From: Kenny Graham
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Expanding height of left column to fill space

Does anyone agree that we are abusing the use of CSS (square
pegs in round holes?) with the way we force it to do things that it perhaps
was not really designed for?

Maybe to an extent, but not nearly as much as using tables for layout is abusing tables. They were never meant to be used as layout, or even for presentation. They were created for tabular data. At least in CSS, we're abusing a presentational language for presentational purposes.

The web is a visual medium and we should be able to
design pages to look how we want, with the condition of making sure they are
readable and suitable for those accessing them.

I disagree. The web is an information medium. The most common way to access that information is through a graphical "web browser". A visual medium used to "browse" the information made available on the web (information medium). I rarely use a traditional, graphical web browser anymore. I have my computer read my RSS feeds and email aloud to me while I work and play games. I test pages I make in graphical browsers, and post flamebait as anonymous coward on Slashdot. That's about it.

For those of you who use a background image, how do you get round the
problem of the columns changing size? I hope you are not using a fixed width
layout (as many CSS column layouts do)! ;-)

*clicks my heels together three times and says "Column support in CSS3? Column support in CSS3?"*

Final point I want to know is, in what way does a table (a simple 1 row 2
column table) actually cause any of the above problems you mention? How does it hinder someone from viewing it on a different device for example? How is
it harder to update? I am not talking about multiple nested tables.

Accessibility isn't just for blind people. It's also for the most disabled users of all: computers. Ever try to teach an HTML parsing script how to tell the difference between a table of data and a layout table? If people would just use semantic markup, it'd be as simple as "It's in a table element? Must be tabular data. It's in a p element? Must be a paragraph."