Standards compliance needs to be built into RFP's from the get-go and then enforced by companies who pay the web-dev's.

Exactly. I was actually thinking the other day, browsers should be more like compilers... they should refuse to parse incorrect code. Then the enforcement would be on the output end, too.

An example of bad code: http://web1temp.cheme.cornell.edu/courses/cheme112/

Whoever made that site is basically having their bad code justified by browsers that actually display it, even though it has no doctype, no html tag, no head tag, unclosed p tags... etc etc etc. If that person was doing the same thing in Java or C++, the compiler would spit out a bunch of wierd messages and he/she would realize he/she doesn't know what he/she's doing.

If browsers didn't parse bad code, that would probably stop a lot of xangas and myspaces from working... I can dream, can't I?

No html tag! I can't get over that one!