On Sep 7, 2005, at 2:19 PM, Kenny Graham wrote:

> I wouldn't lose any sleep over which is
> the most semantic way, as it can get fairly academic...

But that's why I love this list. Even the smallest things get academic very quickly here. To get to the semantic root of it, ask yourself "Does each subitem function as a definition of its parent?"

This is a good way to figure out what list (or table) to use. Ask yourself, how do the data relate to each other?

* the data in the group all relate to each other equally = unordered list (e.g., all items on a shopping list are on par with each other)

* the data mean something different if you change what proceeds or succeeds them = ordered list (e.g., every item in a list of directions must follow a specific other item, and lead a specific other item) -- note that the order should change the meaning, and not simply be a preference such as an unordered list that is sorted in some manner. Menu items and alphabetized shopping lists do not change their meaning if you re-order them.

* the data are sectioned, and each section is an unordered list with each item relating (equally) to a title for the section = definition list (with "section titles" being the defined terms), even if there is only one section so long as that section is "titled."

* the data relate as an unordered list, but in two mutually independent ways = table (if you find yourself considering the coordination of two different unordered lists so that each requires no order but both must be in the same order, e.g., an unordered list of cities, each with a sub-list of population, latitude, and longitude, then this is a two-dimensional relationship that is best shown with rows and columns)

Note that this is why calendars give people headaches:
- they have columns that are an ordered (not un-ordered) list that acts as a cycle, but no rows (move Sunday from the last column to the first, and all Sunday dates change rows but not meaning) - they have sections like dl's (months), but the content of each section is ordered (days)

--

    Ben Curtis : webwright
    bivia : a personal web studio