The other nice thing about Blogger is that many if not all of the
templates are well designed. Mine was originally designed for Blogger
by Zeldman. I've modified it a lot, but the framework is his.
Unfortunately, I added Haloscan trackback and comments, which make it
fail validation. Otherwise it validates XHTML 1.0 strict, which is
think is fantastic for a free blogging tool. All cms's and blogging
tools should do so well!

Some do work that well. Check out Wordpress, Nucleus, and Textpattern. They are all XHTML 1.0 Strict or Transitional out of the box, and very easy to modify in order to reach XHTML 1.1.