On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:07:18 +1000, Damian Sweeney wrote:
> This thread has got me thinking. If verbs are not the go in link
> text, where does that leave us with 'skip to' links at the beginning
> of a page? Should we just use 'main content' or 'navigation/menu'?

I'm not on this "don't use verbs" boat at all because I haven't yet
found (or just missed :( ) a justification for it.  While I don't by
default, or even often, use a verb in a link, sometimes I do.
For instance, one of the pages on a current project allows you to view
a video.
The link is <a href="trainingVideo1.wmv">Download Video Now</a>, on the
download page, but the links throughout the site that point to that
page say similar to:
"You can view a <a href="something.html">video clip</a>"
The difference is that one points to a page and one allows you to do
something (in this case view a movie)
Verbs can be very useful. I don't understand the blanket ban.

At the same time, I wouldn't be terribly upset to see:
"You can <a href="something.html">view a video clip</a>"

Why is this bad?

warmly,