I'm not sure if I subscribe to this thinking or not -- but, playing the
devil's advocate, there is evidence to suggest that _more_ designers are
capable of coming up with something creative and aesthetically pleasing
when working in design view without regard for code. I'm not suggesting
CSS designers aren't capable of this (though that is a thought aired by
others in the past), just that design without regard for feasibility in
a particular framework is inherently more prone to yielding creative
solutions.

This may be true, but I have a lot more respect for creativity in the function of a website than creativity in the appearance. CSS is not just about visual appearance, it's about accessibility and use too. Plus, after media:screen, there's media:handheld and media:print, to name a couple areas where CSS is almost entirely about function, not appearance.