Has the CSS validator (the W3C one) just become a whole lot more pedantic?

Sites that previously came out with a clean slate now throw up lots of warnings.

I mean.. You'd expect sites made by people in the Features section of the WSG site to be perfect. I checked a few of them at random. All had warnings, some only a dozen or so, others had a long long list. Not that I want to single anyone out, but one would have thought Westciv would be OK. Or maxdesign. But no, even the W3C site gets a long list of warnings.

Has the validator become too pedantic all of a sudden or was it too lenient before? Should we ignore the warnings? Regards --
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/
Fast-loading, user-friendly websites