Andrew
                "I'd much rather use a limited palette PNG via CSS than cross my
fingers and hope that Flash's JPEG algorithm doesn't destroy my image"

Agreed the jpg comppressor in flash is brutal on lower and med quality but
why not use the png in flash?

Obviously this wouldnt work if the background image had to come in on cue-or
was
faded or masked on the timeline, that being said im all for the background
swf.
Not sure if id go the extra mile to have a background behind the background
swf though.