I had never been there until this thread popped and up and yes, you are correct, it's ugly. But I guess it's the content that makes it succeed?

Buddy

Nick Lo wrote:

I agree with Andreas to the degree that he is really saying this is not THE "Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005" but rather "Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005 according to subscribers of a newsletter directed at people interested in Jakob Nielsen's views on usability". In that respect it's a bit like general browser statistics, interesting, but not really that useful. Unless you are building a site targeted at people interested in usability who also enjoy reading Jakob Nielsen's newsletters then these points are merely one of many that could appear in a checklist.

I hate to do the all too common dig at Jakob Nielsen but I always find it amazing that useit.com has such standing when it is itself such an awkward and unattractive site to use.

Anyway, in the end it comes down to what is relevant to the users of the site you are building.

Nick