I did an experiment with the full height thing about a year ago. I was absolutely baffled but what I found out, is if you leave out the doctype, full height will work in IE. But does not work with a doctype. Obviously because the browser has kicked into the dtd's mode.

You can see the final product of the site I built for a few banks. Here's one: http://www.firstgaston.com

Take a look at the code and steal whatever you think you can use. I ended up using a table to get things done correctly.

Buddy