Mike Brown wrote:

Meaning that the value of zoom layouts is what? Just that it's putting
content is a single column to prevent overlap etc?

Not just overlap, but mainly that things aren't positioned off to the right, where users with screen magnifiers won't normally look for them.

And that the larger text and colour changes aren't actually needed?

If for the zoom layout's css you don't define any font size below 100% and don't define a specific foreground/background colour, yes. I also proposed that CSS system colours may have a positive role to play here...to hell that they're deprecated in CSS 3 (something I've argued against on the WWW-Style list, garnering a moderate amount of support).

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com