If you mean for search engines, then yes, I think you are correct.
However, there may be other valid reasons for using metadata.

Does anyone remember when Anil Dash (from Six Apart) beat out 2 SEO
companies and won a SEO competition in 2004?

http://www.dashes.com/anil/2004/07/27/optimizing_sear

The best SEO is to have *relevant content* that speaks in the same
language as your target audience, rather than trying to manipulate SERP's
by keyword stuffing and other tricks.

You may find these links useful:
http://www.penmachine.com/techie/search_ranking_2004-08.html
http://www.penmachine.com/2004/08/is-it-worth-optimizing-your-site-for.html