On 10/9/05, Richard Czeiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
OK so someone pointed out that <pre> would be better for poetry

That was me.

<pre> does a nice job of handling the visual side of things but from a
screen reader's point of view, how do they handle a line break through <pre>
as opposed to <br />. Do they pause or say "new line"? I think, when all is
said and done though that <pre> does seem better for poetry.

Actually, I think I learned in poetry class that most poems are meant to be read continuously. In some poems line breaks matter, but it would be up to the screen readers to ensure that the structure of a poem was not lost to the listener. If you tried to style a poem by e.e. cummings, you would have a boatload of &nbsp; and < br />. Not pretty at all.

Glad we agree. Back to the topic at hand, why would you pause when reading an address aloud? If you tell me your address, do I really care where the line breaks are? Read this aloud:

909 anystreet
ithaca, new york

Did you stop at the line break? Did it matter? My point is that we don't need to make the line break obvious to the screen reader. If we want it there for the browser that lacks css we would want the < br />. Sometimes line breaks are necessary visually, with or without css. Otherwise, the span{display:block;} method would work too. I would prefer the < br />.

For another example of where I use < br />, I sometimes use it in forms, where I want line breaks with or without css.

> PS: in terms of the <address> element itself - check out what's happening
> over here!
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2004/02/xhtml-rdf.html#div154379976

The "resource" term looks like a great way to make an address semantic.

--
- C Montoya
rdpdesign.com ... liquid.rdpdesign.com ... montoya.rdpdesign.com