My impression has been that the only reliable method for dating is in the actual content of the documents. Especially with so many dynamic applications being used for web sites, it's up to the site maintainer to include with each article the date when it was written and last modified. That seems a lot more dependable than having the server or the document header store these things.

At least with blogs, every article has a date. The dates are kept in the database. As we see more web content moved into databases, this will probably be the case, especially if you are running a CMS where every document is generated from a database, and you just have static  document templates... the only place to store date information is in the database.

--
- C Montoya
rdpdesign.com ... liquid.rdpdesign.com ... montoya.rdpdesign.com