Did you read the blog post in the link? The writer insists that developers use conditional comments, and even shows how to use them.

What I am saying is that IE should be eliminating the need for both conditional comments and hacks. I'm not saying to take their functionality away... it's a nice option to have, just stop making IE so inconsistent with other browsers.

I'll probably be using conditional comments for the next five years, and everytime I use them I think to myself, this would just be easier if IE worked the same as FF/Opera/Safari.