Ted Drake wrote:
> Sounds simple enough?  However, I'd like the columns to be flexible.
> So, my first thought was to create two background images, one for the
> right and one for the left and apply them to the div and another
> element. But that doesn't sound like the best idea, I still need them
> to vary their distances.  Here's my next idea: create a single
> background image of a line. Apply it as the background with a style
> like this: #targeted-div {background: url(line.gif} 33% 0 repeat-y;}
> and just for simplicity
> #inner-div {background: url(line.gif} 66% 0 repeat-y;}
>
> I'd try this out right now, but I'm editor less at this moment.
>
> Has anyone tried something like this? Do you have any suggestions?
> Wouldn't it be nice if we could use the new CSS properties for
> multiple backgrounds?

Hi Ted,
Due to "poupular demand" ;), I've implemented faux-columns techniques on a
few "liquid" layouts here:
http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/liquid.asp (see thumbnails at the bottom
of the document).

% values match, which mean 20% of an image will be positionned in relation
to the same percentage for the element (background).

Thierry | www.TJKDesign.com