On 25/10/05 1:59 PM, "Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Other than a scroll bar (overflow) there is no solution?
>
> The reason I need to use <pre> is that the content comes from a database that
> doesn't use HTML <br>'s, but normal linebreaks. So to format the text
> correctly I need to put it in <pre> tags, but of course I want it to still fit
> into the rest of the content.

Can you not use PHP to replace the line breaks with <br /> tags? I use
something like this:

<?php
$br = chr(10); //single line feed character (LF)
$description = str_replace(chr(10), "<br />\n");
// etc
?>

You just need to verify which character your db is using for line breaks
(MySQL?).

Sorry to the list for straying off-topic, and apologies to Andreas (like the
new site mate!) if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College