Hi Terrence,

My interest in Mike's post is in the client-developer relationship. What swayed
the client toward excluding Mac IE from stylesheet support could be beneficial
when considering the merits of such an approach with other standards-aware
clients. Perhaps the RNZ decision means that Mac IE is now 'browser non grata'.

>The content is still available to any browser, so in that sense no-one is
>being excluded.

Substitute 'user-experience degraded' in place of 'excluded' if you will.
Unless I have misunderstood Mike, a decision was made to exclude Mac IE users
*when they had already been 'included'*.

>taking a long term view there will be benefits from the reduced site
>maintainence.

Such as? A 'dead' browser cannot spawn new bugs, once know bugs have been
addressed, there should be no impact upon website maintenance.

>I can safely say, from server logs I have access to, the only people using
>IE5/Mac in New Zealand are designers/developers testing their (or my)
>designs, and you are more likely to come across IE/PC 4 in the wild.

As you note,' from the server logs you have access to', and browser statistics
vary depending on the user community--unless you're making direct reference to
the RNZ website?

Best regards,

--
Andy Kirkwood | Creative Director

Motive | web.design.integrity
http://www.motive.co.nz
ph: (04) 3 800 800  fx: (04) 970 9693
mob: 021 369 693
93 Rintoul St, Newtown
PO Box 7150, Wellington South, New Zealand