Far out Andy... now I'm really confused!!!

To elaborate on your Quicktime example, I'd be inclined to say something like:

* Optimised for broadband (5.4 Megabytes)
* Optimised for dialup (1.2 Megabytes)

Although separating binary from metric might be a new standard, it's a
big ask to just throw new units of measurement at end users. For the
most part it will have no impact on them anyway, as the file sizes are
just an approximation when used in this way.

Interesting info, though!

On 27/10/05, Andy Kirkwood | Motive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Data storage units are a bit of a can of worms. The problem lies in
> common-usage vs. international standards. There are also 'old' and 'new'
> standards for unit abbreviations.
>
> METRIC vs BINARY UNIT GUIDE
> Essential reading before continuing...
> < http://www.romulus2.com/articles/guides/misc/bitsbytes.shtml >
>
> RELEVANCE TO USERS
> There are a few reasons for showing filesize:
> -setting an expectation of time-to-download
> -setting an expectation of filesize (perhaps preferable for users on fixed
> usage plans)
> -inferring quality (assuming bigger file = better 'quality')
>
> As connection speeds tend to be in kilobits per second (kbps), then filesize
> _may be easier to convert to 'time-to-download'. (Although download speed
> uses metric notation while data storage values tends to use binary notation).
> The discrepancy between data transfer speed (metric) and filesize (mostly
> binary) is likely to be the root cause of the unit abbreviation confusion.
>
> I'd recommend MiB/MB for files greater than 1MiB/MB, and KiB/kB for files
> less than 1MiB/MB.
>
> If a single webpage offers alternative quality options, say for Quicktime
> media files, listing the download options with filesizes using the units may
> make it easier for the user to choose an appropriate option. Listing options
> in a meaningful order, e.g. from smallest-to-largest filesize will also help.
> (At all costs avoid ambiguous labels such as 'High' or 'Low' which could
> equally relate to connection speed or quality.)
>
> FILE SIZES UNDER MAC vs WINDOWS
> To add insult to injury, Mac and Windows operating systems use different
> systems when calculating filesize.
>
> Windows 2000 (File Properties)
> -binary: 1MiB (mebibyte)  = 1024 KiB (kibibytes)
>
> Mac 0S X (File Info)
> -metric: 1MB (megabyte) = 1000 KB (kilobytes)
>
> SUMMARY
> Given the relative number of Mac and Windows users (more Windows users) and
> referring to the new IEC standards, the 'correct' unit abbreviation *should
> be* mebibytes (MiB) or kibibytes (KiB), however this flies in the face of
> common practice that refers to the 'old' standards of MB and KB.
>
> Toss a coin?

> >My inclination is to use MB (Megabytes) where appropriate (ie. if the file
> >is greater than 0.01MB), and KB (Kilobytes) for files less than 0.01MB.  My
> >reasoning is that more users can grasp the concept of a Megabyte (think
> >floppy disks, flash drives, some MP3 players) than they can a kilobyte,
> >kilobit or megabyte.
> >
> >My only concern would be that most sites seem to use (ambiguosly) one of the
> >kb varieties.
>
> --
> Andy Kirkwood | Creative Director
>
> Motive | web.design.integrity
> http://www.motive.co.nz
> ph: (04) 3 800 800  fx: (04) 970 9693
> mob: 021 369 693
> [...]

Jason Foss
http://www.almost-anything.com.au
http://www.waterfallweb.net
Windows Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
North Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia