I honestly don't think this is the best solution for you, especially
if you're doing academic papers. For two reasons:

1) because it's impossible to get titles to "display" in a normal
browser without JavaScript, and;
2) if someone prints out your page they don't get any citations at
all. Well, you CAN make it do that, but that either requires CSS IE
doesn't support, or more JavaScript.

IMO, the best way is to link to the footer and have a link back to an
anchor from the footer, so:

Some text I'm going to footnote<a href="#fn1"

[...]

<ol>
</ol>

You could maybe hyperlink the entire citation, but that might cause
problems if your citation is of a website.

The obvious advantage of this is that it prints and requires no Javascript.

hth,
Josh

On 11/5/05, Sarah Peeke (XERT) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dustin
>
> Thanks for your link - impressive titles!
>
> Just wondered, is it possible to have them degrade when javascript is
> disabled, so that at least in IE WIN (for eg) the user sees the normal
> title?
>
> At present, if I disable javascript in FF (mac) I don't get any titles
> at all.
>
> Regards
> Sarah
>
> --
> XERT Communications
> email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> office: +61 2 4782 3104
> mobile: 0438 017 416
>
> <http://www.xert.com.au/>
> web development : digital imaging : dvd production

Joshua Street

http://www.joahua.com/
+61 (0) 425 808 469