Only supported in IE 6 with a hack, kind of an ugly one too as it renders the PNG's transparent area with a mid gray until it has finished loading, I guess if it's on a small image it's ok.

I've had a lot of luck with "PNG Behavior":
http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

It's an .htc, which you may have to configure your server to deliver properly. You assign the behavior to the img elements via your CSS rules. Handles src changes to/from other pngs or non-pngs. (This only works with actual img tags; if you want to affect pngs as your background-image, then you should apply the filter directly in your CSS, and my advice is to make the image the same size as the container it's backgrounding.)

I've hacked this a bit, so that the img is visibility:hidden; until the htc loads/runs, avoiding the ghostly gray-background issues. The trick is that you must only do this if JS is running, otherwise you might wind up with a site with no images. (The hack is testing right now -- NRFPT.)

--

    Ben Curtis : webwright
    bivia : a personal web studio