Stuart Sherwood wrote:
Is this a bug worth reporting or is it something that is already
known? I have only seen variations of bugs with overflow set but none
with the flickering.

Such flickering doesn't appear to be a problem in any case I've tested
in the latest FF-versions, so I guess that bug is well taken care of by
now. Not much we can do for the older versions but to create workarounds
for a while, and then let go.

We also have to test thoroughly across browser-land when using such
workarounds, as some browsers - new and old - may get into more serious
trouble with some of these standard-compliant workarounds, because they
don't apply them correctly.
---

In all cases where 'float:left/right; width: (something);' can be used,
it should be used. Most of today's browsers are near to flawless on floats.

Next comes 'display: table; width: (something);' that is mostly either
understood and applied well enough - or completely ignored. Still plenty
of bugs around for 'display: table' though, so test well.

Neither of the above seems to fit the bill for your test page, but they
may work perfectly well on a real page/layout.
Using 'overflow: (not visible);' is actually the solution that may
create problems in most browsers. So that one really has to be tested
well across browser-land.

        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no