Ah, if only browsers had seen fit to support markers as defined in CSS
2.0...

This is a sticky one. I have to admit I'd probably go for something like
this:

<dl>
  <dt>40</dt>
  <dd>text info in here</dd>
</dl>

You lose the semantics of an ordered list, but you get to be valid Strict
and you don't have to include the numbers in your list item contents. If
this isn't acceptable, I'd use your second proposed solution, but try to
choose better tags for your number and list item content (e.g., a <hX> tag
for the number, and <p>aragraphs for the content).

--

Kevin Yank
Technical Director

SitePoint Pty. Ltd.