I agree with Bert - use the start attribute and a transitional dtd. It's
cleaner, more concise, and captures exactly the semantics of what you are
doing. You don't need the div around the text info though.

Of course you could always write out the first 39 empty list-items and hide
them :)

Geoff Pack