matt andrews wrote:

Agree with Bert and Geoff here.  The dropping of 'start' attribute
from strict DTD was, and is, a controversial W3C decision - one with
which I disagree, personally.  There are plenty of plausible and
sensible scenarios for having an ordered list start with something
other than 1... this NLA case being an excellent example.  This is one
case where I would regard (this particular aspect of) validation as
being a hindrance rather than a help.
I like where the W3C Validator says that a page with the start attribute is invalid whereas Tidy says it's ok...

I'm in total agreement that start shouldn't have been dropped. There are several legal type documents that require things to be numbered. However, for the reason of simplicity for the user it was decided by the web team that the sections be different pages and the number needs to remain consistent.

Even though it's depreciated and many pages at many websites aren't valid in the first place -- couldn't you still use the start attribute on a Strict page anyways? Ducks and runs...*poof*

.Peter

--
Peter J. Farrell :: Maestro Publishing
http://blog.maestropublishing.com

Rooibos Generator - Version 2.1
Create boilerplate beans and transfer objects for ColdFusion for free!
http://rooibos.maestropublishing.com/

- Member Team Mach-II
- Member Team Fusion!