I am with you on that. I don't feel that dropdowns are as user friendly as they could be. I think people should be directed to the information they are using by providing descriptive top level navigation, contextual linking and logical 2nd level navigation within the context of the related main subsection. Site maps and search utilities are also a good way to ensure that people will get to the info or goal.

Jay

Jay Gilmore
Developer/Consultant
Affordable Websites and Marketing Solutions for Real Small Business.
SmashingRed Web & Marketing
P) 902.529.0651
E) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chris Kennon wrote:
Hi,

I've adopted the philosophy, drop down menus are a surrogate for  detailed Information Architecture.  Sub-navigation should be  introduced on internal pages to navigate sub-sections. Before passing  this along to clients as mantra, I thought seeking the advice of the  participants of the list advantageous.

Respectfully,
Chris
The discussion list for  http://webstandardsgroup.org/