Since your at a univeristy you might as well take the time to go over
the some of the more theoretical stuff. This is particlularly a good ida
if your talking to CS students who are more interested in that kind of
thing.

Probably one of most important things is Semantics. Paricularly the
separation of style and content, although semantics covers a lot more
too. Of course don't over do it (join the www-html list on w3.org for
examples :P) but I htink it will give the students a firm foundation for
a lot of the whys behind how things are done.

As far as server side languages like PHP, JSP, and the other
abominations - I think that probably belongs in another course. Mainly
because there is a lot of stuff that needs to be covered here
(particularly security issues). If the students haven't done at least
some programming you might find that either 1) it ends up becoming a
second Introduction to Programming 101 or 2) the students won't have a
clue as to what they're doing and will get more confused because there
is an extra layer they don't understand.

Alan Trick