>From personal experience I'll add to what Alan said.

I took Web Design & Programming 1 here at Cornell. It was very easy
for me since I know the stuff already but I saw what other students
were dealing with. Such as:

- The class was full of people who had no experience with computer
programming, and the professors have this crazy idea of teaching PHP
at level 1. I mean, associative arrays and form handling. Stuff I
don't think is so relevant to level 1. Anyway, a lot of students still
don't understand the stuff and I really think the time could have been
used to cover more stuff related to CSS or semantics.

- Teaching usability was good. The professors made us think of
potential users and create entire personas for them, and they made us
do user tests for our projects. I think everyone in the class got a
good grasp of how to make websites usable. Besides, one of the books
we read was "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug.

- We did not cover Javascript at all. This was a good thing IMO since
most students would have probably ended up using it obtrusively in
their websites.

- We didn't touch Flash either. Mostly had to do with problems with
teaching a proprietary product.

- It was very important that the professors declare tables for layout
wrong from the beginning. There were definitely a lot of students that
went into the course thinking this sort of thing is okay. One even
decided to single me out for being such a table-for-layout hater.
However, that's a story for another day. Fight the good fight.

I definitely think the class should have covered more CSS, and more
accessibility. Otherwise it was a good class. Next semester I'll be
taking level 2, which is PHP & MySQL. Should be more fun.

Christian Montoya
christianmontoya.com ... rdpdesign.com ... cssliquid.com