i don't think it actually ignores the second center... it just reads your body's height as 0px. Notice that if you have 'center top' it shows all of your background image, but with 'center center', it only shows half, as the background image has been vertically centered at 0px.

as a quick test - specifying the body height to 100% centers your image in FF 1.5 on PC.

--adam--