Patrick Lauke wrote:

(imagine your grandmother with her IE6 going to her local council website -
after you finally got her to use
the "interweb" - to find information on some opening times or whatever, only
to be presented with a "Open / Save as..." dialog).

Patrick, I'm a grandmother -- albeit a stunningly youthful one ;-) -- and I'm following this thread avidly as I try and decide whether to serve up html or xhtml as I accessify a delightful but flawed WP theme. On this "interweb" so many of you dashing young things are talking about.

Could we drop the sexist (it's never a grandfather!), ageist digs at people who simply had the misfortune to be born 10, 20, 50 years too early?

I hate to pick on you (of all people, who do so much for accessibility) but the "aunt mabel" type tag (it's nearly always an older, female relative) comes up too frequently and whilst I'm no bra burning feminist, even I get hacked off at throwaway remarks such as this.

Now where did I put my dentures and zimmer frame last night...

;-)

Daisy