Here is Hickson's reasoning as taken from http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

1. Authors write XHTML that makes assumptions that are only valid for tag soup
or HTML4 UAs, and not XHTML UAs, and send it as text/html.

2. Authors find everything works fine.

3. Time passes.

4. Author decides to send the same content as application/xhtml+xml, because it
is, after all, XHTML.

5. Author finds site breaks horribly.

6. Author blames XHTML.

[Rimantas wrote: You know, I have tested those "flawed assumptions" and they
appear to be true.]

So Rimantas, you have written invalid XHTML, served it as XML and then blamed
XHTML because your Web site broke. If you had written invalid HTML 4 and some
User Agents had not parsed it correctly, would you blame HTML 4?

Wow, calling us liars because XHTML 1.1 has <td align="" valign=""> constructs
speaks volumes about your character. As it happens, there is no other way to do
arbitrary alignment in XHTML 1.1 other than using this construct without
resorting to inline CSS, which is deprecated, or by using constructs that are
no better like:

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xstandard.com