My biggest reason for following standards originally was selfish: vastly increased ease of maintainability. When you separate content from presentation, you can change the presentation aspect of the site once and it goes into effect across the entire site. I really, really liked that aspect of it. Pages load faster thanks to smaller file sizes, and site visitors notice that. There are other benefits, but those were what convinced me.

Leslie Riggs

None of those. I just mentioned that I was unable to convice my friend to change his ways and his strongest reason not to was his (fairly complicated) site that worked just fine in a lot of browsers which he built without jumping through any of the hoops I go through trying to get a complicated layout to work in as many browsers.

I'm all for standards and everything else this list is about, but I do feel we might be spending a lot of time preparing for a "State Dinner" when what we are really going to attend is a "come-as-you- are" BBQ in the backyard.