Dear CSS Listers:

in another thread, someone essentially asked "why code like this", in trying to convince a friend. I don't think he's getting very good answers but at any rate, it made me think of a "problem" I'm having and I've decided to make a new thread.

A non-profit that i've maintained the website for for 8 years or so has recently had some special grant money and as part of a package hired a PR firm to work with that segment from the grant (including the website). They would rather I continue to maintain it but the PR firm feels otherwise. The situation now, the PR firm has put up a number of pages, its tag soup, tables, js menu (with graphics) - you know. I've done the same, based on the PR's firm design - css-p etc. The non-profit doesn't know what code is, doesn't know there are browsers other than IE and don't feel they have the time to learn.

I need to be able to explain, by looking at the surface, the difference between standards coding versus "you-know-what". Just about the only thing I can come up with is the ability to increase font size in IE. I also thought of making a PDA example using Opera's PDA emulator and comparing the two codings, with screen shots, next to each other and did that but i don't think they get what they're looking at. Or else make very short sentences i.e. "what the PR firm is doing is the way someone would have commonly done it five years ago ... "

Any other ideas. Also, I'm afraid, the PR firm has convinced them that I am just the "in-house volunteer" and that *I'm* liable to mess up the site ... quoting an experience they had when they turned over a site to another customer.

I hope this is enough on-topic for some discussion.

best regards,
Donna