Yes, the key to this argument/discussion is whether your site offers a service to the general public. As suggested earlier we cant expect someone hosting his/her home page on Geocities to follow web standards, but anyone offering services online bears a moral responsibility to make those services available to as many people as possible, regardless of whether they are a minority of your target audience or not, and, at least in the UK, a legal responsibility.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/12/2005 15:10:48 >>>
I was being specific and not defining the situation well, my bad.  In
the UK it is against the law to provide an inaccessible service.
Therefore ONLY in the field of Accessibility, it is within the rights of
any disabled person to demand that any UK site should be accessible.  In
practice, it means at least passing the WAG 1 test.

I don't think that Managers and "The-people-who-control-the-money" do
believe that not following standards will cost them and publicising web
standards is still a big issue.

Stephen

Duckworth, Nigel wrote:
> Stephen Stagg:
>
>> A better way to force the implementation of Accessibility
>> standards would be to set up a group, or just urge disabled
>> people, to sue companies and web hosts who serve inaccessible
>> sites. Once people and customers realize that getting it
>> wrong will cost them, I'm sure that they will soon mend
>> their ways.
>>

> Wow. Isn't one of the arguments for web standards that "getting it wrong
> will cost you"? Obviously not enough in your estimation. I do believe
> that standards and accessibility are beneficial but that's a question
> that each individual, designer and business should decide for
> themselves. No one has the right to force them to conform [1]. In my
> opinion such "we know what's good for you" arrogance only harms the
> standards movement.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Nigel
>
> [1] http://nigelduckworth.com/publishing/?p=3

> The discussion list for  http://webstandardsgroup.org/
>
>  See http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm
>  for some hints on posting to the list & getting help

The discussion list for  http://webstandardsgroup.org/

*** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
*** PPA DISCLAIMER ***
This e-mail and any attachments transmitted with it, including replies and forwarded copies subsequently transmitted (which may contain alterations), contains information which may be confidential and which may also be privileged.
The content of this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the person authorised as responsible for delivery to the intended recipient(s), please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this e-mail
or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the Network Team at the Prescription Pricing Authority via e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] including a copy of this message. Please then delete this e-mail and destroy any copies of it.
Further, we make every effort to keep our network free from viruses. However, you do need to validate this e-mail and any attachments to it for viruses, as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus that might be transferred by way of this e-mail.
This e-mail is from the Prescription Pricing Authority whose principal office is at Bridge House, 152 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 6SN. Switchboard Telephone Number :- +44 (0)191 232 5371