> [snip] ACRONYM and ABBR

I take a fairly simplistic view on this one:

1) Future standards only include ABBR.
2) Acronyms are a form of abbreviation.
3) For the sake of good writing, you should spell out the full term on
first use anyway. That covers bad browsers, too.

....so, I just use ABBR for anything which is a shorter form of
another term or phrase.

Obviously people don't usually spell out all acronyms, even though we
really should. For specific industry terms it would get tedious; so a
bit of discretion is good. Write for your audience and so on.

--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not
--- evenly distributed. - William Gibson