What's the best, cross-browser supported way to setup font sizes in CSS documents?

I've been using

body
{
 font-size .8em;
}

then

{
 font-size : 90%; (adjust per design to get the correct sizes etc)
}

the problem I've found with this is that I'll sometimes set a 90% on a td element (or something similar), then if I place a <p> tag inside the <td> it gets reduced by two lots of 90%, so then I wind up setting

td, p
{
 font-size : 110%;
}

to counteract that, as you can imagine things quickly become a mess of font-sizes going up and down to counteract each other. Is their a better method of looking after this?

Samuel
http://www.geminidevelopment.com.au | http://www.seasonstravel.com.au