Patrick said:

> and once you go from XHTML 1.0 strict to
> 1.1 (yes, yes, changing mime type and all that) there are a few
> more things to look out for ... not being allowed any character
> entities apart from the basic & < > " and
> &apo; - so things like © for instance will not be valid).

Are you sure? The XHTML 1.1 DTD (1) includes (and requires) the
Modular Framework Module (2).  This module includes the XHTML
Character Entities Module (3), which includes three entity files:
XML-compatible ISO Latin 1 (4), ISO Math Greek and Symbolic (5), and
XML-compatible ISO Special (6).  These entity files contain everything
from á to ‌, including ©. Of course it's very
possible that I'm completely missing something.

1) http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/xhtml11_dtd.html
2) http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/DTD/xhtml-framework-1.mod
3) http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/DTD/xhtml-charent-1.mod
4) http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent