Rowan,

I had the same problem when I started my blog. I had to edit the markup
in the template as there was a set of <p></p> that caused the problem.
The pages did validate but their search box wasn't labeled. I see now
that Blogger added additional elements to their search feature and it no
longer validates ... sigh ...

Pam