Lynne Pope wrote:
The validators themselves tell you that they have limitations. A page can validate according to the W3C online service but, in fact, not be valid.

I think Philippe covered the validity-points pretty well.

It all comes down to how closely any developer wishes to adhere to standards and how much of a purist anyone is when it comes to correct
 coding ;)

Oh, we can paste a valid example from the standards into a validator,
and it may choke on it. So much for limitations. Think someone will have
to purify the standards and the validators a bit more, before we
announce purity based on them.
Standards are pretty useful tools - when browsers adhere to them. Maybe
they will - one day.

regards
        Georg
--