The flexibility of the title attribute (as opposed to the title element) can
be seen in the ever-exciting W3 technical reports. Two places that are
always a great read, and full of surprises are the "List of attributes" [1]
and "List of elements" [2].

The list of attributes shows the title and has info beside it saying its
related elements are:
"All elements but BASE, BASEFONT, HEAD, HTML, META, PARAM, SCRIPT, TITLE"

Before getting too excited though, an essential read on this topic is Steve
Faulkners "The Trouble with the Title attribute" [3].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/index/attributes.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/index/elements.html
[3] http://www.sf.id.au/ozewai/

Thanks