> I have just discovered the 'small screen rendering' tool in Firefox (web
> developer toolbar).  Am I right in thinking this is an attempt to show
> what a site looks like on a mobile device or similar?  Is it a good
> guide? etc.

That's the theory, but with the vagaries of handheld/small screen
devices it's not the last word.

You might also like to try Opera's small screen rendering feature as
well [View -> Small screen]. Again, not the last word but considering
Opera's mobile browser is based on the 8.5 codebase it should give a
reasonable idea of what to aim for there. I don't have a suitable
small screen device to test on, though.

Most handhelds we've seen here at work had roll-your-own browsers
included that were invariably terrible :-/

--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not
--- evenly distributed. - William Gibson