Peter Levan wrote:

Is there a good reference site that lists correct MIME types for various file formats? or is there a general rule to follow for non-standard file types?

Specifically I'd like to know what MIME type should be used for SPSS portable (.por) files and in the past I've seen many variants for some file types (eg. MS office file types). Currently we are sending the MIME type application/por which I am fairly certain is incorrect, but it does give the browser behaviour that we want. Without the MIME type set the file displays like a text file in the browser window, however we want the download requestor to appear when accessing a file of this type as the file is useless when viewed as straight text as it is a data file designed to be used with SPSS.

Peter Levan

Have you tried

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=MIME+type+SPSS&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Geoff.