At 05:44 PM 1/29/2006, SunUp wrote:
Does anyone know of a method which will toggle the visibility of the
FAQ "answers" while still displaying everything properly without
javascript, and that adheres to current best practise for javascript?

Hmm. The text-toggling examples folks have posted on this topic use {display: none} to hide text. I'm under the impression that some screen readers will not speak text that's been hidden with {display: none}. [1]

If so, then it would make much more sense to use a technique like this:

hide:
        position: absolute;
        left: -1000em;

show:
        position: static;
or:
        position: relative;
or:
        left: N;

...depending on the application.

This would guarantee that the text would always be accessible to screen-readers even when hidden from display -- the same sort of graceful degradation we expect of toggle systems when JavaScript is disabled.

Regards,
Paul

[1] A few references on this topic easily revealed by googling display+none+screen+reader:

ScreenreaderVisibility < CSS-D wiki
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ScreenreaderVisibility

What do Screen Readers really say? by Bob Easton
http://eleaston.com/bob/screenreader-visibility.html

Facts and Opinion About Fahrner Image Replacement by Joe Clark
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fir/

Screen readers and display: none by Simon Willison
http://simon.incutio.com/archive/2003/09/13/screenReaders