1) HTML 4.01 Strict, unless you've got really ambitious plans and a
very good idea what user agents will be in play: keeping in mind
Internet Explorer doesn't support XHTML served as
application/xhtml+xml, so it's still going to be parsed as straight
HTML in that browser.

2) So far as I'm aware, that's what mod_gzip does on servers that
support it. Whitespace supposedly compresses really well, so there's
no real harm in leaving it if your server is compressing content. For
a non-server-side-dependent solution,
http://www.freshstartcafe.com/css-compress/ looks good for CSS
compression, and if you're interested in compressing your HTML +
Javascript I think you'd probably have to do it manually. I can't see
how it'd make any great different so search engines, particularly if
your pages are well-formed.

Regards,
Josh.